VP, Business Development & Marketing, Eastern Canada – Stuart Olson
Stuart Olson Inc. (“Stuart Olson” or “The Company”) is a $1 billion+ organization representing one of the largest and most respected construction services companies in Canada. The company is recognized for its unique approach to doing business as well as its understanding that a positive journey is the critical factor to achieving successful results. Currently the company has over 4,000 people motivated by the opportunity to make a difference.Stuart Olson has been empowering Canadian business since 1911. Their rich history demonstrates their reach and diversity as an integrated, full service organization serving the construction and industrial markets. Throughout this time, they have contributed to Canada’s growth and maturity into a dynamic global economy. Through the organization’s Buildings General Contracting Group (the “Buildings Group”), Commercial Systems and Industrial Services the company has supported clients in commercial and residential development, oil and gas, hospitality, mining, health care and education, to name just a few. The people of Stuart Olson have had a positive and lasting impact on businesses and communities across Canada.
Today, the Buildings Group is one of the premier building contractors catering to clients in the private and public sectors in both new construction and renovation. With both Commercial and Industrial-focused business units, the Buildings Group has the experience and expertise to deliver on projects ranging in size up to $500 million.
With division offices and a presence in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario and approximately 600 employees, Stuart Olson Buildings Group has over a billion dollars in backlog and a strong sales funnel for additional projects. They have a firm foundation for growth in the coming years.
Their future is focused on continued growth as they aspire to be the most recognized organization within its industry in Canada, while living the values of uncompromising commitment to HSE, people, excellence, team, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Stuart Olson is “people creating progress”.
Stuart Olson Inc. is listed on the TSX under the symbols SOX and SOX.DB.
For more information on Stuart Olson please visit their website at: www.stuartolson.com/
VP, Business Development and Marketing- Eastern Canada
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Dotted Line: Regional Vice President
Indirect Reports: Marketing Coordinator (1)
Working as part of the Senior Leadership team, the VP, Business Development and Marketing, will manage the business development and marketing activities of clients throughout Ontario (or Eastern Canada) while maintaining alignment with the Building Group’s national strategy and vision. The new VP, Business Development and Marketing will utilize their key relationships and influence across many sectors including: municipal, industrial, government and private sector channels that will allow the person to identify objectives, strategies and action plans to improve short and long-term sales opportunities, exceed revenue and margin targets while promptly and professionally addressing the needs of customers.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Support a culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards and is aligned with the Company’s core values.
- Commit to the structured development of leadership enhancing the talent quotient and the ongoing effectiveness of succession planning.
- Demonstrate the Promise and contribute to it becoming embedded across the organization.
Strategic & Business Planning Development
- Work with the Buildings Corporate Management Team, to lead the development of new market initiatives and business opportunities based on the best use of the Group’s resources/assets and current trends in the industry and the competitive landscape.
- Manage the Group’s business development process to ensure the continuous growth of the back-log including the creation of a comprehensive and centralized business development approach.
- Establish and maintain strategic relations with customers, partners, and other stakeholders including governments and the public sector.
- Lead and participate in corporate initiatives as directed by the COO.
- Build a disciplined business development process that effectively manages leads and prospects through the sales funnel including prospecting, discovery, proposal development and deal closure to ensure achievement of regional and account revenue and margin targets.
- Develop and execute a robust sales and marketing plan that aligns with corporate targets, objectives and strategic initiatives.
- Oversee all business development and marketing, including sales strategy, forecasting, and new client development for the Eastern markets.
- Ensure repeat business by building strong relationships with existing clients to leverage current and future opportunities.
- Communicate effectively across the organization, both horizontally and vertically, ensuring effective collaboration between Sales and other groups critical to the sales cycle.
- Work in partnership with the Regional VP and other stakeholders both within and outside the organization to develop and pursue potential leads.
- Work with the Regional Vice President and Corporate leadership in establishing effective tracking mechanisms to both qualify and manage prospects, contacts and key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Direct oversight and approval of content, layout and branding of all proposals, and expressions of interest (EOI’s) prepared by the Marketing Coordinators.
- Support the design and implementation of client solutions for proposals to ensure they meet with customer needs and provide the best possible customer service.
- Set and manage business development targets for all project teams.
- Utilizing Stuart Olson’s business model, ensure annual backlog targets are achieved in the region.
- Ensure that the Marketing Coordinator/s understand marketing objectives and performance expectations.
- Work in conjunction with operations to ensure high level of customer satisfaction and client retention.
- Play a key role in leading Branch marketing meetings.
- Support training and development seminars as required.
Join a well-respected and stable organization, with ambitious growth plans over the next five years and a national business development strategy and vision. The Buildings Group has a strong and secure backlog of public and private projects, and has diversified into new markets, including Southern Ontario. The successful candidate will be instrumental in ongoing growth as well as the implementation of new projects across the respective market. Lastly, the organization is a vertically integrated, self-performing entity with the proven capability to deliver quality outcomes in all aspects of the project delivery.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a quality backlog of business opportunities that are viewed as both viable and representative of market/region objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to fully integrate with the entire team and work in a collaborative and collegial fashion.
- Recognize emerging trends and develop key strategies to capitalize on these trends.
- Create synergies between your previous business relationships and Stuart Olson’s current client base that will create a successful foundation for future business.
- You have demonstrated the ability to influence and develop buy-in with the operations team to the importance of the sales and marketing process.
- Build considerable credibility within the entire organization that allows for the ability to leverage internal resources and work in a collaborative and cooperative fashion.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Ideally a Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferably in engineering, architectural or business/marketing background, however, hands-on commercial qualifications will also be considered;
- An MBA would be an asset.
- 15 – 20 years of progressive experience in commercial or industrial construction industry.
- Minimum of ten years of senior leadership experience in the commercial construction industry.
- Proven track record for building successful client relationships and possess a solid book of business/contacts within the municipal, industrial, government and private sector channels.
- Demonstrated ability leading business development activities that support the achievement of revenues exceeding $400M.
- Demonstrated success in playing a significant role in organizational growth year after year.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Possess detailed knowledge of development, design and construction terminology, delivery methods and processes. Thorough understanding of construction and design systems, building types and costs.
- Advanced knowledge of the sales process and have the ability to close and negotiate deals in conjunction with estimating and management of construction projects.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with clients to ensure continual business growth within the company.
- Possess many contacts at office levels within the marketplace covering a variety of sectors.
- A visionary approach to the market. A capability to understand where the industry is heading and how to leverage accordingly.
- A self-starter with excellent planning and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills, with highly refined presentation skills.
- Actively involved in industry associations and events.
- Developed a credible industry reputation that will enable you to represent the organization in executive rank forums and business relationships.
- A professional, confident, and strategic relationship builder.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Strategic perspective with an ability to effectively manage the details.
- Positive, “can-do” attitude and customer focused approach.
- Ability to influence with or without authority.
- Exercises sound knowledge and good judgment.
- Accountable and results oriented.
- Collaborative and capable of functioning with confidence and credibility at the senior levels of the client organization.
- Committed to objectives of profitable market share expansion through strategic growth in target accounts.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AMBK- 874638 VP, Business Development & Marketing, Eastern Canada – Stuart Olson, ON – Toronto and GTA (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.