Vice President, Projects – WSP Group Ltd.
WSP Canada Inc. (“WSP”) is part of WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff, one of the world’s leading engineering professional services consulting firms with approximately 36,500 employees, operating out of more than 500 offices, across 40 countries, on 5 continents.
In Canada, WSP has approximately 8,700 employees, including engineers, technicians, scientists, environmental experts and architects. The company’s expertise ranges from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transports networks, and from developing the energy sources of the future to enabling new ways of extracting essential resources.
The company has grown through a combination of organic expansion and acquisitions. In Calgary, these acquisitions have included DPH Focus Corporation, Tundra Engineering Associates and GRB Engineering. The company’s Oil & Gas National Business Line continues to be a critical focus in the Canadian market.
For further information about WSP Canada Inc, please visit their website at www.wsp-pb.com/WSP-Canada/.
VICE PRESIDENT, PROJECTS
Reports to: Senior Vice-President, Oil & Gas
Direct Reports: Project Managers; Manager, Project Engineering; Project Controls Manager; Manager, Estimating; Manager, Document Management and Manager, Supply Chain Management
Indirect Reports: Approximately 100
Location: Calgary, Alberta
As a member of the Oil & Gas National Business Line (NBL) leadership team, the Vice-President, Projects assists in establishing the overall strategy for the Business Line. The role is responsible for all of the business line’s projects including opportunity identification, bid submission and review, and approval and execution throughout the project lifecycle. In addition to planning, cost, schedule, quality and communication on programs and projects, this role is responsible for the Project Engineering, Project Controls, Estimating, Document Control and Supply Chain Management disciplines.
The successful candidates will be accountable for final decisions on department policies in alignment with corporate and division strategies and resource allocations to meet Client commitments. He or she will work within broad objectives and ambiguity and must balance priorities and provide services to various Clients. Finally, the Vice President, Projects identifies and evaluates high-impact issues and risks, and provides tactical direction in conjunction with the other Engineering and Business Unit Leads.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Developing and building teams of Project Managers, Project Engineers, and Project Services disciplines that lead to project excellence and client satisfaction;
- Championing the development and maintenance of established procedures, processes and tools with a focus on continuous improvement and ensuring solutions are fit for purpose and meet client requirements;
- Build and maintain WSP’s brand/reputation both internally and externally.
- Senior level client engagement across all service lines with a view to identifying business development opportunities; collaborating and participating in business development activities including opportunity identification, proposal development, and contract negotiations;
- Acting as project sponsor and managing client escalations, where necessary;
- Assist in the overall leadership and execution of the strategic vision of the firm;
- Participating in the development of the annual budget for the Oil & Gas NBL working with the Senior Leadership Team to identify risks and opportunities;
- Leading the development and understanding of both Corporate and NBL business objectives;
- As a member of the executive management team, selecting and approving the establishment of programs and policies, and ensuring alignment with organizational strategic direction;
- Sponsor and introduce improvement change initiatives and report progress to executive management group;
- Workforce planning and resource management as it pertains to project needs;
- Developing and approving succession plans; leading and approving HIPO assessments and the performance review process;
- Performance and salary management that fosters a culture of pay for performance;
- Defining and stewarding the commitment to fit for purpose health and safety at the projects and department level, ensuring consistent implementation;
- Ensuring profitability is maintained on given projects/programs in line with NBL revenue and gross margin targets; and
- Supporting internal and external monthly, quarterly and annual reporting requirements.
- Opportunity to play a key leadership role in a regionally led organization with access to the resources of a global organization;
- Joining an organization that has remained stable through the downturn and maintains high utilization rates;
- Wide ranging opportunities to continue to grow one’s career beyond the Vice President, Projects role; and
- Opportunity to shape culture of the organization as continued integration of predecessor organizations occur.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Engineering degree in a related discipline or technical diploma from a post-secondary institution;
- P.Eng. or P.Tech. designation; and
- Completed formal training in Project management; PMP certification (or equivalent).
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- 20+ years of proven project management experience with projects/programs/portfolios >$500M;
- Exposure to wide range of oil and gas projects including smaller scale conventional projects and large scale oil sands projects;
- Significant experience in an engineering or EPC firm; owner experience would be an asset;
- Demonstrated superior knowledge of project management in the context of business process;
- 10+ years of leadership experience;
- Structured approach to people leadership; holds team members accountable and provides reinforcing and corrective feedback to others using a current & direct approach;
- Strong track record in strategic planning;
- Makes timely quality decisions, taking a broad range of issues or factors into consideration;
- Develops creative solutions to complex problems, stimulating new ways of thinking and solving problems;
- Anticipates potential obstacles by preparing, modifying and reviewing contingency strategies;
- Able to develop & maintain effective relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, effectively communicating and influencing others;
- Demonstrates a keen understanding of diverse and often conflicting stakeholder agendas, and manages them in a way that advances the interests of the business while satisfying concerned parties;
- Builds effective working relationships, networks of contacts and partnerships with internal and external individuals at all levels;
- Successfully mediates conflict between individuals and groups;
- Drives for results while maintaining focus on the organization’s strategic goals;
- Strong knowledge of industry, market, and competition;
- Clear understanding of what drives profitability and growth;
- Responsible for development and maintenance of a departmental or location level budget; and
- Maintains knowledge as to competitive, regulatory, and industry environments.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AOEN-655387 Vice President, Projects – WSP Group Ltd., AB – Calgary and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.