Vice President, Finance – Maclab Properties Group
Maclab Properties Group (“MPG”) and related entities own and manage a rental property portfolio consisting of over forty residential multi-family, commercial and retail projects. The properties are located in Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Vancouver and Yellowknife.
MPG’s rental property holdings are managed by its wholly-owned subsidiary, Midwest Property Management (“MWPM”). MWPM is an industry leader – earned by following its mission of ensuring the long-term viability of the properties and providing the highest value and quality in rental accommodation and customer service. This translates into a better living experience for residents and ensures that MWPM fulfills its purpose of creating an environment “Where Community Lives”. MWPW also provides third-party property management services for a portfolio of assets owned by our founding partner.
MPG also has hospitality investments, including full ownership of one hotel and a 50% interest in another. The day-to-day operations of these properties are managed by Coast Hotels & Resorts (“CH&R”) with regular oversight by MPG management.
MPG and its associated companies also invest in a variety of real estate (primarily California) and non-real estate projects throughout North America.
MPG’s corporate division provides accounting, taxation and corporate financial reporting functions to support the interests of the controlling shareholder and their related companies.
As an experienced, stable, and diversified company with considerable respect in the community, MPG plans to continue to pursue acquisition and re-development opportunities throughout Alberta and British Columbia, primarily in Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.
VICE PRESIDENT, FINANCE
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer, Maclab Properties Group
Direct Reports: 4 – Director, Accounting and Tax; Director, Information Technology; Payroll Manager; Controller (MWPM)
Indirect Reports: 13
Location: Edmonton, AB
Based in Edmonton and reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, Finance will be a key member of the Executive Management Team. The Vice President, Finance will provide leadership and be responsible for strategic tax and estate planning, financial performance, compliance, risk management, financing, treasury functions and consolidated reporting.
The Vice President, Finance will also provide objective advice and analysis on both new and existing business ventures, partnership agreements and corporate structuring within and outside of Canada. This dynamic role will also provide strategic direction and counsel on a number of complex business operations and will support continued growth.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Oversee, review and approve the day-to-day operations of the Finance department, including cash/treasury management functions;
- Assess financial performance and develop benchmarks to evaluate financial performance;
- Participate and contribute in strategic planning sessions to help guide the organization forward in both the short and long term;
- Oversee the preparation and analyze cash flow reports, cost controls, expenses, and financial statements to pinpoint potential areas of exposure;
- Review and approve weekly and monthly cash flow reports, variance analyses and forecasts, quarterly corporate tax pro-forma calculations, and third-party reporting to external stakeholders;
- Prepare annual budgets for corporate cash flows, including the determination of the administration fees charged to related and associated parties (ie. Maclab Development Group);
- Ensure cash resources are managed effectively, both for working capital and long-term growth initiatives;
- Oversee and lead dealings with external advisors and auditors including planning, fee discussions, and execution of corporate requirements (i.e. tax, estate, banking, CRA, financing and insurance);
- Ensure establishment and commitment to strong internal controls across the organization, including working with divisional controllers and operations management;
- Support Shareholder financial planning, including estate planning, tax advisory, wills, and insurance reviews;
- Advise on Shareholder distribution payments including salaries, taxable dividends and capital dividends;
- Coordinate with the CEO and assist in preparing information packages for Board and Shareholder meetings; and
- Special projects as assigned.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build a strong relationship and credibility with the management team, Board of Directors and Shareholder family;
- Learn and become conversant on the complexities as it relates to MPG’s organizational, operational and tax planning structures thereby establishing themselves as the key contact for coordinating internal stakeholders and external consultants and experts;
- Integrate the finance and accounting teams under one common reporting structure and establish consistent internal and external management reporting;
- Provide leadership to ensure the implementation of the new property management software system is completed, including the planning and enactment of new business processes as required, and the commencement of a project to install a new corporate accounting system;
- Become an active contributor to the Executive Management team’s strategic planning process and operational execution plans;
- Deliver successful and error-free year-end audits for all companies and ensure the timely filing of all required tax returns;
- Manage business risk to protect the assets of the company; and
- Ensure delivery of accurate and timely weekly, monthly and quarterly operational reports.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- The successful individual will possess a Bachelor’s Degree, ideally in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration supplemented with a professional accounting designation (CPA: CA preferred).
- The successful candidate will have at minimum 10 years of increasingly senior experience, with at least five of those years requiring the management of staff and/or consultants;
- Thorough knowledge of accounting functions, Canadian tax preparation and filing, and cash flow variance analysis;
- Strong financial accounting, reporting, and analytical skills to ensure timely and accurate preparation of financial information;
- Exceptional experience in analyzing financial modelling and forecasting;
- A deep understanding of key business drivers and fundamentals with a track record of delivering results and enhancing company value; and
- Experience building and fostering relationships with external and internal stakeholder groups.
COMPETENCIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Working knowledge of estate, tax planning and US tax a plus;
- High level professional, able to manage challenging situations in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong management skills and exceptional customer service focus combined with broad, hands-on accounting and tax knowledge and experience;
- Strategic thinker that is results driven and growth oriented;
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and shifting priorities;
- Strong leadership and vision, with highly developed motivational and coaching skills;
- Outstanding teamwork, communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, and at all levels internally and externally;
- Provide leadership at an advanced level of technical expertise, with the ability to act independently;
- Conflict resolution and/or mediation skills and the ability to foster a cooperative work environment;
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to customer service personnel;
- Perform effectively under stressful conditions, such as directional changes, tight deadlines, and limited resources;
- Impeccable sense of integrity, character, and personal values;
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgment and decision making on financial, business, organizational, and resource management issues;
- A strong attention to detail without sacrificing the big picture; and
- High level of self-awareness and ability to understand and relate to others.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AMIR-633877 Vice President, Finance – Maclab Properties Group, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.