Principal, Centre for Intercultural Education – NorQuest College
Inclusive. Student-centred. Relevant and Necessary. Catalyzing. Exciting. Confident. Progressive. Professional.
NorQuest College provides learning opportunities for all. With the strength of a NorQuest College education, our learners have the skills and confidence to further their studies, begin new careers, provide better lives for their families, and make valuable contributions to society.
At NorQuest, we have a unique ability to provide students with the skills Alberta needs in a supportive and inclusive environment. And with input from industry, business, and the public sector, we make learning relevant and rewarding.
We understand that our learners come with varying levels of education and we assist them at the times and places that meet their needs, whether that is in the classroom, via distance learning, or continuing education. We help identify their strengths, work on their areas of need, and move them towards exciting learning paths and life-changing careers. Our post-secondary diploma and certificate programs offer careers in health, community studies, and business. We also uniquely deliver to the increasing demands of our economy. Thanks to our workforce relevant programming, the average learner with a two-year diploma from NorQuest College will see an increase in earnings of $15,000 each year compared to someone with a high school diploma or equivalent. Over a working lifetime, this amounts to approximately $514,000 in higher income. In addition, our research shows that NorQuest College and our students added $421.7 million in income to the Edmonton region’s economy in 2011-2012.
Located on traditional lands referred to as Treaty 6 territory, we serve approximately 10,200 full-time, part-time, and continuing education students each year. As a regional steward, we provide access to adult education in Edmonton and the surrounding region. Our services reach from Drayton Valley in the southwest, to Whitecourt in the northwest, and to Wetaskiwin in the southeast, encompassing 26 communities. In all, 4 regional campuses complement our 2 Edmonton campuses.
NorQuest College is a board-governed public college with campuses and learning sites across Edmonton and the surrounding region, serving 23 communities. With over 10,000 students each year, NorQuest College supports learners with varying educational backgrounds to complete or further their studies through foundational and continuing education programs. Students can receive diplomas and certificates in health, community studies, business, among other subject areas.
We are proud to embrace diversity and honour inclusiveness. 60% of our students are born outside of Canada, and there are almost 70 languages spoken on our campus.
Centre for Intercultural Education
NorQuest College’s Centre for Intercultural Education is recognized regionally and nationally as a leader in integrated, intercultural applied research, education resource development, and customized training solutions.
Through strong collaborative partnerships with clients and stakeholders, we transform communities and organizations through customized, innovative and practical intercultural training grounded in evidence-based research.
Our customized intercultural and English in the Workplace training solutions are widely available to businesses, community groups, and educators, helping your organization build sustainable capacity by better integrating diverse cultural perspectives influencing our workplaces and communities.
Our innovative approach integrates intercultural and language training to build community and organizational capacity through changed behaviour and expanded worldviews.
We generate realistic solutions and perspectives that improve the effectiveness and quality of our clients’ professional and social lives.
For further information about NorQuest College and the Centre for Intercultural Education, please visit their website at https://www.norquest.ca/Professional-Development/NorQuest-Centres/Centre-for-Intercultural-Education.aspx
PRINCIPAL, CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL EDUCATION
Reports to: Vice President, Business Development
Direct Reports: Applied Research Lead; Business Development Officer; and Program Coordinator
Indirect Reports: 3
Reporting to the Vice President, Business Development, the Principal is responsible for the leadership, growth and stakeholder relations of a NorQuest Centre and the achievement of objectives in relation to thought leadership in intercultural education, continuing education and corporate training, as well as applied research. In consultation with the Vice President and Business Development leaders, the Principal develops and implements the Centre’s vision and plan which is aligned to the business development plan. The current Centres at NorQuest are the Centre for Intercultural Education (CIE) and the Landmark Group Centre for Value Improvement. The Principal requires a range of skills including expertise in their relevant field, business management experience, business development, and analytical proficiency.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Leadership and Strategic Growth of Centre (30%)
- Supporting and contributing to the strategic development of the Centre, including the preparation of accessible and succinct strategic briefings and papers, annual work plans and reports;
- Developing a rolling annual business plan and budget that supports the business development strategy and business model;
- Supporting and developing the business development strategy for growth along with other leaders in the portfolio;
- Leading and developing a team of professionals to excel and perform;
- Representing the Centre and monitoring developments as appropriate at national and international events and meetings;
- Contributing to the promotion of awareness and knowledge of the Centre;
- Securing contracts in an entrepreneurial and profit-oriented manner that contribute revenue back to NorQuest for re-investment;
- Working with the sales team to create templated and customized proposal concepts and plans that can be proposed to prospects and current clients to achieve financial targets;
- Supporting the selection of and managing the contract process for facilitators;
- Coordinating the development of appropriate continuing education programs (certificates) including Intercultural Education, English in the Workplace and Diversity & Inclusion programs for external candidates (including professionals such as teachers, health care workers, and/or anyone who works in a multicultural setting);
- Directing the development of business activities for CIE corporate intercultural skills training and programs;
- Providing leadership to a number of professional specialists;
- Developing people and managing talent;
- Supporting horizontal leadership and engaging broadly within Business Development portfolio; and
- Supporting college-wide integration and leadership for opportunities of growth.
Client, Funder and Stakeholder Engagement (30%)
- Establishing a network of individuals working in the field to develop direction for business development initiatives;
- Identifying, directing, and developing new partnerships, collaborations, and related business and research;
- Establishing strong relationships with clients, funders, and key community stakeholders to elevate the brand of the Centre and to develop workforce relevant intelligence to direct the Centre’s activities;
- Recruiting, engaging and supporting a program advisory committee to support the strategic direction of the Centre;
- Expanding the scope and presence of CIE and NorQuest’s applied research, training, and advisory activities into new domains; and
- Supporting and overseeing the development of clients and markets for Centre growth.
Direction of CIE Applied Research and Product Commercialization (20%)
- Developing new multidisciplinary, regional, national, and international research initiatives for intercultural education material development and methodology, and widely disseminating results;
- Advising and supporting NorQuest’s institutional-applied research activities;
- Supporting and overseeing the management of applied research proposals and projects;
- Broadcasting and educating internal and external audiences regarding the activities and approaches of the Centre;
- Identifying key stakeholders in relation to diversity and inclusion, and establishing collaborative partnerships to advance intercultural education models and standards;
- Participating in and contributing to the development of intercultural leadership, diversity, and inclusion, and pragmatics; and
- Develop a consulting model with industry for research analysis and business recommendations in this area.
Internal Engagement of Intercultural Education (10%)
- Directing CIE activities related to teaching and learning in NorQuest.
- Advising internal NorQuest stakeholders on issues related to the development of curricula, educational resources, programs, workshops, and similar activities;
- Providing academic leadership in the training, orientation, and on-going performance of Business Development and CIE staff;
- Supporting College teaching and learning by providing access to Centre resources; and
- Supporting NorQuest College’s overall initiatives on culture development and innovation.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
- Establishing strategies for growing the Centre through selection of clients and development of funders;
- Determining which products, services, programs will meet the customer needs;
- Creating a business plan for new market entrenchment / ventures and business risk;
- Cross-pollinating and consulting within the College, across industries, post-secondary and governmental entities; and
- Making decisions regarding the allocation of resources (human and fiscal) within assigned team.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Work independently within the parameters established by the College, and in support of the strategy for growth set by the Vice President, Business Development;
- Act as a change agent translating broad strategic plans into development of operational plans; and
- Develop strong, effective working relationships with the following leaders:
- Vice President, Business Development and other senior NorQuest College leaders
- Team within Centre for Intercultural Education
- Team within NorQuest’s Business Development portfolio
- Community and business clients with and for whom the Centre is engaged in applied research projects
- External governmental and funding agencies
The successful candidate will have the following:
Master’s Degree relevant to the Centre (e.g. Masters in Intercultural Education or Masters in Adult Education with a Certificate in Intercultural Education)
- Masters in Intercultural Relations or related field including fields such as a Masters in Adult Education with a Certificate in Intercultural Communication
- Also Interdisciplinary educational background including anthropology, psychology, sociology, & education.
- Demonstrated leadership in adult education
- Demonstrated success in organizational training initiatives-initiation, design, delivery, evaluation
- Demonstrated leadership in higher educational staff development
- Second language proficiency other than English preferred
- Understanding of immigrant’s language and employment preparation programs
- Published thought leader
- Media communication trained
The Principal should possess and model leadership skills and characteristics that have been demonstrated through the following:
- Extensive progressive experience in a related senior management level position or extensive senior level specialist experience (typically 8+ years)
- Demonstrated skill as a workplace training and development team lead and project leader
- Background in sales and customer service in the training and development industry (including developing sales and research proposals)
- Experience forming and leading project and training teams including onboarding and development
- Demonstrated managerial experience in budgeting, strategic planning, and staffing
- Demonstrated success working in higher education faculty and staff development contexts
- Professional presentation skills and experience being a keynote speaker and/or proven emcee track record, presenting research and findings to academic, business and governmental audiences
- Proven success in developing, teaching and facilitating in a wide variety of contexts
- Expertise with designing, facilitating and communicating intercultural concepts and skills to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders that are native and non-native speakers of English
- Strong background in English as a Second Language acquisition and teaching
- Demonstrated success as an English for the Workplace developer and trainer
- Track record of success negotiating sales contracts for training and development
- Skill in leading and organizing groups, teams and meetings
- Experience with publishing research and papers representing thought leadership
- Experience with and proven track record for building partnerships and initiatives with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience collaborating on events, projects and development across organizations
- Experience working and communicating with all levels of government
- Ability to grow the range and reach of an organization
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Focus on the Future: Applies strategic insights, an organization-wide perspective, and forward thinking.
- Execute on Plans: Provides clear direction, plans and takes accountability for decisions and results.
- Innovate & Lead Change: Shows curiosity, innovation and calculated risk taking to inspire and lead change.
- Connect & Collaborate: Engages, collaborates, and builds strong relationships with employees, learners, business, government and other post-secondary institutions.
- Develop People & Culture: Invests in developing self, individuals, teams, and our culture of excellence.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AIDT-134503 Principal, Centre for Intercultural Education – NorQuest College, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.