Regional Vice President, Southern Alberta – Stuart Olson Inc.
Our client, Stuart Olson Inc., is a $1.3 billion organization representing one of the largest and most respected construction services companies in Canada. It is a company recognized for its unique approach to doing business and a company with people who understand that a positive journey is the critical factor to achieving successful results. The organization’s over 2600 employees are motivated by the opportunity to make a difference.
Stuart Olson has been empowering Canadian business since 1911. Their rich history demonstrates their reach and diversity as an integrated, full service organization serving the construction and industrial markets. Throughout this time, they have contributed to Canada’s growth and supported its maturity into a dynamic global economy. With clients in commercial and residential development, oil & gas, hospitality, mining, health care and education, to name just a few, the people of Stuart Olson have had a positive and lasting impact on businesses and communities across Canada.
Today, the Buildings General Contracting Group is one of the premier building contractors in Canada, catering to clients in the private and public sectors in both new construction and renovation. With both Commercial and Industrial-focused business units, the Building Group has the experience and expertise to deliver on projects ranging in size up to $500 million.
With over 600 employees in divisional offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario, Stuart Olson Buildings Group has over a billion dollars in backlog and a strong sale funnel for additional projects. They have a firm foundation for growth in the coming years.
Stuart Olson aspires to be the most recognized organization within their industry in Canada, while living the values of uncompromising commitment to HSE, people, excellence, team, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Stuart Olson is “people creating progress”.
Stuart Olson Inc. is listed on the TSX under the symbols SOX and SOX.DB. For more information, please go to www.stuartolson.com.
REGIONAL VICE PRESIDENT, SOUTHERN ALBERTA
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Direct Reports:6: Controller; Estimating Manager; Branch Services Manager; Director Operations; Safety Manager; and Director of Business Development
Indirect Reports: 100+
Location: Calgary, Alberta
The Regional Vice President, Southern Alberta for Stuart Olson Buildings Group will have overall responsibility for the operations and business development of the Southern Alberta Region. The Regional Vice President, Southern Alberta will participate with the Executive Leadership Team in implementing the Company’s core values and ensuring the business unit’s effectiveness.
Located in Calgary, this role reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will be accountable for providing leadership in developing, executing and achieving the Buildings Group’s short and long-term strategic goals. These goals include: alignment of the Southern Alberta Region with the Buildings Groups mission, vision & values; operational excellence; driving revenue; maintaining clients and stakeholder satisfaction; effective project management; and establishing new market initiatives. In addition to being a key member of the Building Group’s Executive Leadership Team, this individual will also be responsible for providing effective management of its human and financial resources.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Strategy and Leadership Development:
- Support a corporate culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards and is aligned with the Company’s core values
- Provide leadership to ensure the successful execution of the Region’s operational plan and cross-regional optimization of the Buildings Group strategy, collaboratively working with other Regional Vice Presidents
- Support the structured development of leadership talent through active management of our succession planning initiatives
- Lead and reinforce a culture of high engagement, and encourage a “one Stuart Olson” and accountability-centered approach
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the Region that includes specific goals and performance measures that align with the Buildings Group overall strategic plan
- Oversee sound operational and financial management of the Region and ensure alignment with the approved strategies and objectives of the business
- Provide leadership to oversee key functional area activities and guide members of the regional operational team
- Provide leadership to six direct reports
- Empower a team of approximately 100+ direct and indirect reports and ensure they have the capacity to achieve the Region’s strategic plan
- Assess and provide direction to support risk management processes and strategies
- Provide stewardship for project execution
- Provide superior leadership to the Region in the areas of: contract development, negotiation, interpretation and management skills
- Ensure risk contingencies, accurate direct costs and targeted profit margins are built into all tender estimates and executed as per plan
- Oversee projects and ensure they are on or ahead of schedule to the satisfaction of all stakeholders at or above targeted margins
- Demonstrate accountability and leadership in the resolution of Regional issues in a collaborative manner with the support of the Corporate team as required
- Conduct monthly project reviews in accordance with the Group’s standards
- Prepare documentation and regularly report on an annual business plan for the Region including a financial plan, business development plan, human resources & training requirements, and capital expenditures
- Work collaboratively with Corporate Groups within Stuart Olson to ensure alignment with Stuart Olson’s policies, programs and overall strategic plan
- Maintain, enhance, and secure the Region’s backlog at targeted levels with desired profitability in alignment with the Region’s approved business plan
- Establish an effective working relationship with the Vice President of Business Development to ensure alignment with the Western Canadian Business Development strategic plan
- Establish and maintain productive strategic relations with all key customers, consultants, trades, suppliers, and other stakeholders including governments and the public
- Leverage the successful relationships established in other regions to continually grow the business unit
- Lead the regional team in new business development initiatives
- Contribute and participate in the corporate business development initiatives as directed
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Retain, build, and motivate a capable and high performing team for the Region
- Continue building a Stuart Olson culture focused on accountability and engagement, with success demonstrated through achievement of personal and regional performance KPIs
- Establish a realistic and focused forward looking strategy while leading the team to achieve incremental growth
- Success in developing and regaining repeat clients to Stuart Olson through establishing relationships and delivering consistent high quality work in the market
- Lead by actively demonstrating the fundamental values of Stuart Olson, “Our Brand” and “Our Promises” to employees
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Solid educational background including an undergraduate degree, and an MBA or equivalent experience
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience engaging clients and community partners
- 20+ years’ of professional experience preferred, with a minimum of five years of senior or executive-leadership experience in an operations role with a buildings and infrastructure construction company
- Minimum of 2 years of profit and loss responsibility
- Experience in commercial and / or institutional construction
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Active and collaborative leadership style
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, construction management environment
- Proven ability to manage diverse and challenging projects that range in size from small scale to very large scale
- Executive-level leader who can drive Stuart Olson forward in differentiating itself from competitors in the market
- Innovative, visionary, and dynamic leader capable of engaging a team and an organization
- Demonstrated success in leading and meeting operational and business development metrics in operational roles of similar scope
- High level of personal integrity with a reputation of excellence in her / his work
- Able to encourage a culture of accountability through direct hands-on involvement
- Effectively lead, and collaborate in corporate initiatives as required
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
APCH-823074 Regional Vice President, Southern Alberta – Stuart Olson Inc., AB – Calgary and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.