General Manager, Western Canada – Confidential
The General Manager, Western Canada will be responsible for the successful growth of sales and profitability for the Company’s regional operations. The individual will be a strategic leader who drives a culture of continuous improvement and mentorship for a diverse team of experienced professionals in the construction market.
Reports to: President
Direct Reports: 5 – Sales Manager, Customer Service Representative, Business Support Coordinator, Operations Managers
Indirect Reports: 10+
Location: Edmonton, AB
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Development, implementation and execution of the strategic plan for the Company’s business development and revenue growth initiatives in Western Canada;
- Responsible for growing market share, brand awareness and expertise in Western Canada with full P&L responsibility;
- Evaluate and understand the dynamics of the marketplace, customers and competitors, and act upon that understanding to achieve profitable market share growth;
- Service existing customers and drive new business opportunities for the commercial and heavy civil/ infrastructure construction markets;
- Responsible to evaluate, develop and build the sales team;
- Capability to evaluate, estimate, bid, and secure complex construction opportunities and commercial projects;
- Responsible for managing effective and efficient yard and warehouse operations, logistics while ensuring the continuous maintenance of the Company’s equipment;
- Overall P&L responsibility for the designated geographic area and must be experienced in balancing revenue growth, costs and expenses to achieve operating profitability, measured against annual business plans, forecasts and general metrics in the industry;
- Demonstrates commitment to attaining the Company’s strategic growth goals while adhering to required internal procedures and financial controls;
- Fundamental safety knowledge including job hazard assessment programs, OSHA requirements, Subpart L, and incident rate implications;
- Establish standardized business practices and implement continuous improvement initiatives to elevate the level of performance and profitability of the area; and
- Understand the benefits of a strong safety program, and drive best practices with the goal of continuously reducing accidents, near misses, and lost time incidents.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Drive growth for the Company’s share of its currently served construction markets and focus on increasing backlog and revenues in Western Canada by seeking new areas of opportunity;
- Successfully manages the revenue and operating profit plan, and participates in frequent planning and forecasting meetings with senior management in line with business and Company requirements;
- Develop a culture of collaboration, mentorship, and continuous improvement with specific focus on employee development;
- Develops and implements a strategic business plan for Western Canada in line with the major objectives while providing clear objectives and direction in terms of sales goals and market penetration strategies; and
- Aid in the development and delivery of service to achieve consistently high customer satisfaction while attaining the necessary internal operating margins.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, or related field.
- Minimum of ten years’ management experience in construction, sales management or business development;
- Solid record of revenue and profit growth in the construction markets;
- Proven ability to evaluate market conditions, competitive strengths, weaknesses and develop/implement strategic growth and profit plans; and
- Exposure to a private equity owned, publicly traded company would be considered an asset.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Nurturing leader who takes pride in developing teams;
- Self-motivated and highly driven to build teams for winning results;
- Superior skills to find and retain top sales talent;
- Effective evaluation and development of a sales force to achieve maximum effectiveness in the market;
- Ability to analyze, and interpret competitors’ actions and react with effective and timely actions to increase company’s market share; and
- Ability to motivate and empower subordinates to do their best work in pursuit of the Company’s business objectives.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
ANOB-522713 General Manager, Western Canada – Confidential, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.