General Manager, Highways – Volker Stevin Canada
VolkerWessels is a leading integrated and diversified listed construction group with a “think global, act local” mind-set. VolkerWessels’ operating model combines a local sales and client focus with a centralised control and support structure at divisional level that optimises scale and expertise across its operating companies. VolkerWessels prides itself in developing local companies who are leaders in their respective sub-sectors, supported by strong governance and shared expertise. VolkerWessels operates primarily in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, North America and Germany. Operationally, its business is organised in six segments. In the countries in which VolkerWessels operates it has over 120 local operating companies, which have national and regional offices and management. Volker Stevin Canada operates as a subsidiary of VolkerWessels.
Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of: construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
In anticipation of our client’s needs, we strive to build and maintain long term relationships based on safety, quality, value, trust, and timely service. In addition to upholding professionalism, integrity, honesty, and fairness in our relationships with our clients, professional associates, subcontractors, and suppliers we ensure the longevity of the Company while sustaining growth and profitability.
Holding a moral obligation to a safe, environmentally responsible work environment we model safety excellence as our way of life – where individual professional growth is the foundation for company growth. Our culture of building and maintaining successful partnerships instills confidence in achieving both employee and client goals.
For more information on Volker Stevin and Volker Stevin Highways, please visit their website at www.volkerstevin.ca
GENERAL MANAGER, HIGHWAYS
Reports to: Vice President Volker Stevin Highways and the Executive Team
Direct Reports: Equipment & Facilities Manager, Safety Manager, Senior Project Manager, Contract Manager (Calgary), Contract Manager (Lethbridge)
Indirect Reports: 260+
Reporting to the Vice-President, Volker Stevin Canada, the General Manager is responsible for leadership, strategic direction and overall operations of the Highway Company through planning, organizing, directing and optimizing the deliverables of our partnership contracts and business opportunities.
Maintain alignment of the organization’s priorities and employee values. Focus on the moral obligation to provide a safe and environmentally responsible work place. The General Manager, Volker Stevin Highways Ltd. (“VSH”) will contribute to the sustainability and growth of the overall Highways and Bridge Rehabilitation business.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Develop and execute a strategy that supports organizational growth, business development, an operational framework, talent development and customer service
- Continuously evaluate market conditions by building and maintaining a network of industry contacts. Ensure a strategy is in place consistent with giving the company accesses to all opportunities
- Maintain strong partnership alignment with the team, clients and suppliers
- Influence industry by sharing knowledge and expertise with the objective to optimize productivity, safety culture and environmental responsibility
- Consider all internal (e.g. workforce changes) and external (e.g. socio economic conditions), factors when directing existing and future contracts
- Seek and identify opportunities for further partnerships with existing and new clients
- Represent Volker Stevin in key industry associations (e.g. Alberta Road Builders) to ensure influence and feedback loop at the forefront of the Road Construction and Maintenance Industry in Canada
- Seek, assess, identify and implement innovation in the areas of highway maintenance, bridge rehabilitation and construction and related activities
- Overall accountability for the results of all divisions of Volker Stevin Highways
- Lead the planning and execution of all bid processes by using acquired skills and experience in the highways maintenance sector. This should best align internal resources with requirements for every project
- Support top leadership during contract negotiations, renewal opportunities and new business development
- Work with the Human Resources department to support the Highways team regarding talent management, including succession planning, performance and development management, retention and engagement
- Successfully execute an efficient, optimized budget. Swiftly adapt to unexpected internal and/or external factors affecting approved budgets
- Monitor/manage profit and loss as well as overall financial performance. Utilize financial data to improve profitability
- Prepare and control operational budgets with a strong focus on cash-flow and inventory management
- Plan effective strategies for the financial well-being of the company
Leadership & People Management:
- Model behavior of trust, commitment, collaboration, engagement, accountability and results
- Provide ongoing, relevant, real time performance management feedback to team
- Ensure position profiles are complete and updated for all positions within the Highways group
- Ensure Managers adopt programs and initiatives to include reportable measurements that impact efficiency, productivity, and the overall success of their divisions
- Understand the level of experience, expertise, capability and aptitude of each individual Manager within your team
- Actively and appropriately approach each Manager and their team to maintain high levels of engagement
- Profide visionary leadership, coaching and mentorship necessary to lead and hold accountable an experienced management, technical and operations team
- Maintain a positive culture that maximizes employee engagement by focusing on safety, customer satisfaction, quality and operational excellence
- Share knowledge of the highways maintenance industry with Managers, contract technicians, Superintendents, etc. through mentorship and coaching
- Identify the professional development needs of the team to ensure solid succession planning
- Foster and maintain a healthy, active and transparent relatioship with the Vice President
- Build and maintain internal and external relationships for collaborative, efficient and sustainable results
- Attend periodic operations and field operations meetings with clients consistently demonstrating engagement in the operational scope of the role
- Represent Volker Stevin Highways in a professional, helpful and confidential manner at all times
- Base customer communications on transparency and with a solution driven focus
- Provide leadership in business development with cities, towns and municipalities who support current and future operations
- Support and lead the team to identify, recommend and initiate changes process as they relate to the best results of the VSH Maintenance and Bridge Rehabilitation Operations
- Follow through with VSH Managers for the successful implementation of continuous improvement initiatives and reporting on results achieved
- Formulate and review strategies for bidding and pricing to improve profitability and protect market position
- Actively engage in Volker Stevin Canada’s safety culture
- Apply lessons learned to the improvement of operational efficiencies, safety and environmental matters in all divisions
- Engage top management on an ongoing basis regarding safety activities, operational effectiveness and successes by reporting to the Vice President and Executive Team when relevant
- Remain visibly committed to the safety excellence way of life by participating in all appropriate safety training
- Model accountability activities associated with role
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education from a recognized institution is considered an asset
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in a leadership role of complex operations
- Minimum 5+ years of direct experience in the highways maintenance or transportation infra-structure industry is preferred
- Senior management experience in a P3 environment – bidding, planning, mobilizing, overall leadership
- Experience in civil construction industry
- At least 3 years’ experience in operational financial management.
- Knowledge of contract management
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices
ATTRIBUTES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Demonstrate and behave with humility by learning from and respecting others
- Building relationships with transparency, honesty, openness, and constructive communication
- Uses business acumen to make sound judgements and actions that ensure success
- Takes personal accountability for delivering and driving results and achieving outcomes
- Influence others positively through strong ability to articulate and communicate appropriately
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AVOT-214650 General Manager, Highways – Volker Stevin Canada, AB – Calgary and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.