Executive Director – Edmonton Academy
Edmonton Academy, established in 1983, is an Alberta Education Designated Special Education Private School for students who have been diagnosed with a learning disability.
The primary purpose of Edmonton Academy is to provide a high standard of specialized teaching in order to meet the needs of its students. As such, the Academy recognizes that student progress – academic, social and emotional – is the ultimate measure of the school’s ability to meet its students’ needs.
The school was established in response to parents who wanted a program that would meet the needs of their children who had been diagnosed with learning disabilities. Edmonton Academy Society for Learning Disabled was formed and Edmonton Academy opened its doors to the first group of students in September 1983.
Edmonton Academy’s program, offered from Grades 3 through 12, is designed for students who have average to above-average intellectual ability but who have significant difficulty with reading, written language or math. The average class size for language arts and math is 6:1 and the average class size for the integrative subjects is 12:1.
Edmonton Academy’s goals are to restore student confidence and make it possible for each student to progress steadily towards academic success using specialized teaching methods.
This is accomplished by:
- Raising self-esteem, confidence and independence.
- Using teaching strategies and tactics which help each student minimize the effects of his or her learning disabilities.
- Developing independent work habits and transferable skills.
- Encouraging personal discipline and a sense of structure for each student.
- Providing the approved Alberta Education curriculum.
For further information about Edmonton Academy, please visit their website at www.edmontonacademy.com.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Report: 1 – Administrative Assistant; The potential exists for the number to increase if additional office support staff or Education Assistants are hired.
Location: Edmonton, AB
The Executive Director is responsible for managing the organizational infrastructure of Edmonton Academy Society for Learning Disabled (operating as Edmonton Academy) and supports the Board of Directors in the achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The Executive Director is directly accountable to the Board of Directors for the performance of the infrastructure within the limitations of authority and the resources available. She/he demonstrates the values of Edmonton Academy’s design, maintains an effective management structure and directs the management process. The Executive Director represents the Society to regulatory bodies, other agencies, community and civic organizations, donors, funders & supporters and the public.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Provide the Board with the organizational information and the administrative leadership it needs to fulfill its governance responsibilities;
- Present to the Board tactical administrative and financial plans in accordance with the Strategic Plan;
- Ensure that the Society’s operating results established in the annual budget are achieved and operating expenses are controlled within the budget;
- Perform all accounting/financial duties necessary for the operation of Edmonton Academy including accounts payable/receivable, cash management, preparation of monitoring reports, payroll, purchasing of equipment and supplies, donor receipts, and regulatory reporting requirements (federal, provincial and municipal);
- Manage public relations programs including advertising/marketing and student recruitment;
- Manage fund development and fund raising activities, including direct mail campaign;
- Maintain and develop policies as required by statute, including but not limited to those required by Alberta Education;
- Care for Edmonton Academy’s facilities and equipment, including insurance, leased emergency systems and maintenance;
- Manage human resources programs including assisting in the process of hiring of academic staff; staff retreats and school functions; hiring/supervising/dismissing support staff; benefits and staff records;
- Provide all documentation required by Alberta Education on a timely basis, and act as Secretary-Treasurer for Alberta Education and the Society;
- Liaise with external agencies, including the Association of Independent Schools and Colleges in Alberta (AISCA), other independent schools, and the Government of Alberta;
- Work with the Director of Education/Principal on administrative and logistical needs; and
- Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors, acting as Board Recording Secretary.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
Demonstrate passion for the mission and services offered by Edmonton Academy;
- Build strong relationships with all stakeholders including students, parents, staff, the Board, Alberta Education, and interested external parties;
- Steward the Edmonton Academy successfully through the annual external audit process; and
- Remain compliant to all regulatory and reporting requirements of Alberta Education.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is desired;
- An Accounting designation is welcomed.
- Minimum of five years’ experience working within a not-for-profit organization in a senior administrative position including experience in all aspects of accounting, marketing and strategic planning;
- Experience with Board Governance for non-profits is strongly desired; and
- Experience with SAGE/ACCPAC Accounting Software is an asset.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
The Executive Director’s role is multi-faceted and requires a well-organized creative person who is also a strategic thinker. The Executive Director will be self-motivated and demonstrate an understanding of the issues surrounding the education of students who have learning disabilities and support for private education. The Executive Director will have proven leadership and team building skills. She/he will have a sincere desire and passion for ensuring that the school provides a safe and caring atmosphere for the children in its care.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AWAI-625541 Executive Director – Edmonton Academy, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.