Director, Public and Government Affairs – EPCOR
Clean water and reliable electricity are at the heart of what EPCOR does. As Canada’s first municipally owned electric utility, they proudly keep the lights on and the water flowing in over 100 communities across North America. With a rich 125-year history, EPCOR has ambitions to be one of North America’s premier providers of essential services, and they have the top employer and sustainability awards to prove it.
EPCOR builds, owns and operates electrical transmission and distribution networks, and water and wastewater treatment facilities and infrastructure in both Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan) and the United States (Arizona, New Mexico and Texas).
The City of Edmonton is EPCOR’s sole Shareholder and they operate as a commercial entity governed by an independent Board of Directors. Since incorporating in 1996, they have achieved exceptional growth and have more than doubled their dividend.
EPCOR provides both rate-regulated and contract electricity services to 600,000 residential and small commercial customers in Alberta and energy distribution to 379,000 residential and commercial customers in Edmonton. Water, wastewater and distribution services to over one million people across 85 western Canadian communities and industrial sites’ are provided by EPCOR. In the US, EPCOR provides private regulated water to 31 communities and 9 counties throughout Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.
EPCOR’s Mission: To provide clean water and safe, reliable electricity.
EPCOR’s Vision: To achieve their vision, EPCOR will focus on their people, health, safety and environment, operational excellence, customers, stakeholders and growth.
DIRECTOR, PUBLIC AND GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: 3 – Senior Manager Strategic Communication; Senior Manager Government Relations; and Senior Manager Marketing
Indirect Reports: 16
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Public and Government Affairs (P&GA) creates value for the Corporation and its various lines of business by achieving the reputation, brand and relationships required to meet EPCOR’s vision and long-term plan. As part of the P&GA strategy, EPCOR is striving to become known as a trusted utilities advisor to all levels of government. As EPCOR continues to grow throughout North America, the successful candidate will modify P&GA’s strategy to meet the company’s growing needs. The Director, Public and Government Affairs will be accountable for the performance and leadership of the Corporate P&GA team. This includes ensuring the planning and execution of government relations strategies, innovative external communications and marketing strategic community investment initiatives through effective stakeholder consultations.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Serve as the principal and strategic communications advisor to EPCOR and its Senior Leadership team;
- Ensure P&GA’s strategies are aligned with, and supportive of, the achievement of EPCOR’s long-term plan;
- Ensure P&GA business plans are in place, including vision, mission, values, strategic positioning, and operational and resource plans;
- Ensure the development and delivery of high quality brand and reputation management, stakeholder consultation, internal and external communications and community investment programs which reflect EPCOR’s values and achieve business results;
- Keep abreast of existing and emerging federal, provincial and state political policy environments as they relate to protecting EPCOR’s existing lines of business and the development of strategies and tactics to positively influence their evolution to provide for the development of new opportunities for EPCOR;
- Create and lead a strong team of senior managers and provide leadership to align Business Unit priorities with the Corporate strategy; and
- Ensure the allocation of appropriate financial and human resources to meet the organization’s strategic goals.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Ensure the effective integration of the City of Edmonton’s drainage division into EPCOR and deliver an external drainage campaign;
- Expand the EPCOR brand;
- Develop and execute on the EPCOR government affairs strategy;
- Facilitate stakeholder engagement on $2.5B City of Edmonton investment in flood mitigation;
- Build strong relationships at both the Provincial and Federal government level;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Community Investment Program; and
- Develop their team and identify internal opportunities for growth.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor Degree in Communications, Government Policy or other business discipline; and
- Graduate-level education in the above fields would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of fifteen years of experience in public and government affairs;
- Minimum of ten years of experience in managing and developing professional staff;
- Experience advising senior executives; and
- Experience building and managing budgets and maximizing Return On Investment.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong presentation and consulting skills with an ability to persuade, facilitate understanding, and create buy-in;
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain strong stakeholder relationships internally, with government and in the community;
- Demonstrated ability to network and build relationships with senior level government representatives;
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills to shape elegant solutions to difficult issues;
- Ability to both develop and execute on strategic direction;
- Advanced project and process design and management skills;
- Knowledge of Alberta’s provincial and municipal government systems;
- Strong leadership ability to guide and motivate the team;
- Ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner;
- Ability to manage in an environment consisting of multiple deliverables with short turnaround times;
- Strong conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to enable a positive team dynamic by demonstrating flexibility, tact and diplomacy; and
- Ability to foster supportive and collaborative working relationships between parties.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AXBN-878260 Director, Public and Government Affairs – EPCOR, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.