Director, Business Development Southern Alberta – Stuart Olson Inc.
Stuart Olson Inc. (“Stuart Olson” or “The Company”) www.stuartolson.com is a $1 billion+ organization representing one of the largest and most respected construction services companies in Canada. A company recognized for its unique approach to doing business, Stuart Olson understands that a positive journey is the critical factor to achieving successful results, which is led by 4,000 people who are motivated by the opportunity to make a difference.
Stuart Olson has been empowering Canadian business since 1911. Their rich history demonstrates their reach and diversity as an integrated, full service organization serving the construction and industrial markets. Throughout this time, they have contributed to Canada’s growth and maturity into a dynamic global economy. With clients in commercial and residential development, oil and gas, hospitality, mining, health care and education, to name just a few, the people of Stuart Olson have had a positive and lasting impact on businesses and communities across Canada.
Today, the Buildings General Contracting Group (the “Buildings Group”) is one of the premier building contractors in Western Canada, catering to clients in the private and public sectors in both new construction and renovation. With both Commercial and Industrial-focused business units, the Buildings Group has the experience and expertise to deliver on projects ranging in size up to $500 million.
With divisional offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario, and supported by approximately 600 employees, Stuart Olson Buildings Group has over a billion dollars in backlog and a strong sales funnel for additional projects. They have a firm foundation for growth in the coming years.
As the company is entering its second stage of strategic growth, a new Business Development and Marketing vision and strategy is being launched.
Their future is focused on continued growth as they aspire to be the most recognized organization within its industry in Canada, while living the values of uncompromising commitment to HSE, people, excellence, team, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Stuart Olson is “people creating progress”.
Stuart Olson Inc. is listed on the TSX under the symbols SOX and SOX.DB.
DIRECTOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT, SOUTHERN ALBERTA
Reports to: Regional Vice President (directly), Vice President Business Development and Marketing – Western Canada (indirectly)
Direct Reports: Marketing Coordinator
Working as part of the Senior Leadership team, the Director, Business Development and Marketing, will manage the business development activities of clients throughout their geographic area while maintaining alignment with the Building Group’s national strategy and vision. The Director of Business Development and Marketing is expected to identify objectives, strategies and action plans to improve both short and long-term sales opportunities, exceed revenue and margin targets while promptly and professionally addressing the needs of customers.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Manage the sales funnel from first contact with the customer to handoff to operations to execute;
- Work with senior leadership to develop a key account strategy that aligns with corporate targets, capacities, objectives and strategic initiatives;
- Follow-up and develop leads after consultation/guidance from the Regional Vice President as well as the Vice President, Business Development & Marketing – Western Canada;
- Initiate, lead and assist with strategy and guide content, layout and branding of all proposals, and expressions of interest (EOI’s) prepared by the Marketing Coordinators;
- Continually seek out new opportunities to raise the standard of Stuart Olson proposal submissions;
- Keep management informed of progress and account sales and ask for leadership assistance when required to keep the sales process moving forward;
- Be a key participant on the internal proposal team for client interviews;
- Work with the Regional Vice President and the Vice President, Business Development & Marketing–Western Canada to effectively utilize tracking mechanisms and tools to manage their prospects, contacts, and key performance indicators (KPI’s);
- Develop and implement a sales and marketing plan for assigned key accounts;
- Contribute to and execute the company’s marketing strategy and business development plans;
- Assist with the design and implementation of client solutions for proposals to ensure they meet customer needs and provide the best possible customer service;
- Attend/Lead Branch marketing meetings;
- Coordinate business development efforts with the Regional Vice President, Vice President, Business Development & Marketing – Western Canada and Marketing Coordinators, including all operational staff;
- Assist with content development and presentation of various training seminars as required;
- Develop and maintain Sales Force – Business Development Funnel database, as part of the Company’s overall enterprise resource planning system;
- Build relationships with clients and consultants at senior decision making levels;
- Lead and maintain external communications (articles, website, presentations, social media, etc.) to the highest standard;
- Meet or exceed annual backlog targets, that conform to Stuart Olson’s business model and ensure they are achieved in the region;
- Lead and manage marketing Coordinators to understand marketing objectives and drive performance expectations;
- Work in conjunction with Operations to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction and client retention;
- Resolve customer concerns and complaints in a courteous, professional manner; and
- Attend and present at trade shows and participate in provincial/national professional organizations, influencing agendas and outcomes.
The opportunity to join a well-respected and stable organization, with ambitious growth plans over the next five years and a national business development strategy and vision. The Buildings Group has a strong and secure backlog of public and private projects, and has diversified into new markets, including Southern Ontario. The successful candidate will be instrumental in ongoing growth as well as the implementation of new projects across its respective market.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Increase backlog (significant growth) to meet predetermined regional targets;
- Integrate within the local office team;
- Be front and center in the local markets and help bring a stronger presence of the Stuart Olson brand;
- Be viewed by clients (new and existing) as a “go-to” person for questions and as the problem solver; and
- Take a leadership role in all business development activities from project opportunity to securing a mandate.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 15 years of progressive experience in commercial or institutional construction industry. Hands-on Business Development experience for a minimum 3 years.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Possess detailed knowledge of development, design and construction terminology, delivery methods and processes. Thorough understanding of construction and design systems, building types and costs and project delivery models;
- Advanced knowledge of the sales process and have the ability to close and negotiate deals in conjunction with estimating and management of construction projects;
- Proficiency with Sales Force, Target Account selling or similarly structured sales/CRM systems;
- Ability to develop strong relationships with Clients to ensure continual business growth within the company;
- Possess a large number of senior level contacts at the executive level within the local construction marketplace;
- A self-starter with excellent planning and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills, with highly refined presentation skills;
- Actively involved in industry associations and events;
- Marketing and proposal writing experience; and
- A demonstrated track record of success in a previous role delivering the key accountabilities noted above.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AXGN-816487 Director, Business Development Southern Alberta – Stuart Olson Inc., AB – Calgary and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.