Development Manager – Maclab Development Group
Maclab Development Group Ltd. (“MDG”) is a privately held, innovative and entrepreneurial Edmonton based real estate development and investment company focused of innovative, high quality and sustainable residential neighborhoods and multi-family vertical construction projects.
MDG is continually exploring new ways to meet the evolving housing needs of individuals and families. With a focus on timeless designs, quality workmanship, sustainable features and enforcement of architectural guidelines, MDG’s experience over the last half-century has earned the company a sterling reputation for building neighborhoods that maintain their quality for decades.
In addition to its development activities, MDG serves as a family office for the controlling shareholder.
As an experienced, stable, and diversified company with a stellar reputation, MDG plans to continue to pursue acquisition and development opportunities throughout Western Canada.
For further information on the operations of Maclab Development Group, please visit their website at: www.maclab.com.
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer, Maclab Development Group
Direct Reports: None at the current time
Indirect Reports: Two shared resources
Location: Edmonton, AB
Based at the company’s Edmonton headquarters, the Development Manager role is a senior leadership position within the organization, reporting directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer of MDG.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the real estate development side of the business, particularly as it relates to high-rise, multifamily projects and retail development. The successful candidate will oversee all aspects of the projects and will play a critical role in ensuring the projects run smoothly, from the initial vision and planning stages, through to project completion.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Demonstrate an awareness of MDG’s market presence, industry trends, and competitors;
- Demonstrate a commitment to executing continuous improvement for current and future projects;
- Identify and assemble the team of consultants and contractors to bring these projects to completion;
- Establish and sustain a strong relationship with partners and potential partners in the projects;
- Manage, oversee, and participate in MDG’s projects with an ability to explore alternative design methods that could allow for improved scheduling, reduced construction costs, or improved quality;
- Ability to garner from their strong market trend knowledge and construction experience an ideal suite mix;
- Support the team in value engineering and facilitate cost effectiveness in design;
- Ability to grow revenue and manage operating costs;
- Develop effective and competitive marketing strategies to ensure maximum revenue generation;
- Demonstrate financial acumen by operating within an agreed upon financial budget and work closely with the project accounting group to ensure timely and accurate job costing;
- Provide annual and project budgets; and
- Creation and monthly updating of cost to complete reports for all projects.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the Development Manager’s ability to:
- Firmly establish himself or herself as a trusted advisor and team player within the leadership team;
- Equip the organization with the leadership and technical competencies, processes and capital to grow/achieve MDG’s strategy;
- Prove to be an integral part of upholding and driving MDG’s goal of creating sustainable, scalable, and repeatable developments;
- Drive organizational culture and value set that aligns with, and supports, the performance of the company and which sustains or enhances the market reputation of MDG;
- Possess strong clarity around the ideal build on the proposed new projects while ensuring the initial stages of construction are established and in place; and
- Once under construction, ensure the projects are moving forward as expected within budget and within the desired timeframe.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in a construction development management role, or similar; and
- Degree/Certification in Engineering, Business Administration, Real Estate, Urban Planning, Construction Management, Construction Science, Project Management, or related field.
COMPETENCIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Possesses a strong knowledge of construction and project management fundamentals;
- An excellent understanding and foundation of experience regarding job costing, cost control measures and detailed budgeting;
- An engaging and friendly personality;
- Strong collaboration skills and the willingness to be open to new ideas;
- Strong relationship development and management;
- Exceptional communication skills and self-awareness;
- Results oriented and forward thinking;
- Positive attitude and a dedicated and committed team player;
- Self-determined with a high degree of emotional intelligence;
- Strong business acumen with the ability to think both critically and analytically; and
- A passion for the business and desire to yield exceptional results.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AGFD-356357 Development Manager – Maclab Development Group, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.