Alberta Operations Manager – Sun Gro Horticulture
Sun Gro Horticulture is one of the most prominent North American horticultural companies, employing over 300 staff and serving customers worldwide. Since its humble beginnings in 1929, it has become the leading supplier of soilless growing mixes to North America’s top 100 greenhouse and nursery growers, shipping over 70,000 truckloads of product annually. Sun Gro products are made to exacting standards and conform to high product quality and performance criteria.
Sun Gro Horticulture’s mission is to be an industry leader in soilless growing mixes, serving horticultural professionals, retailers, and gardeners with superior quality, branded growing mixes that yield exceptional results.
For further information about Sun Gro, please visit their website at www.sungro.com
ALBERTA OPERATIONS MANAGER
Reports to: Director, Operations
Direct Reports: Plant Managers (Seba Beach & Vilma)
Indirect Reports: 50
Location: Seba Beach, AB
The Alberta Operations Manager is responsible for the plant operations and people management of two manufacturing and packaging facilities located in Seba Beach and Vilna, Alberta. The successful candidate will be tasked with improving efficiencies within the Alberta facilities while focusing on the importance of safety, quality, inventory, and maintenance of equipment. The Alberta Operations Manager will champion a culture of continuous improvement to ensure superior business results and a high degree of customer satisfaction.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain an effective team and organizational structure to maximize customer satisfaction and profits;
- Lead and develop the organization to create leadership and problem solvers at all levels;
- Design and implement the long-term improvement plans for the facilities, which have an emphasis on becoming the low cost producer in their market;
- Monitor the performance and effectiveness of all operations. (Safety, Quality, Housekeeping, Financial Performance and Inventory Control);
- Ensure that a quality process is in place as a method of doing business;
- Create a positive work environment that is proactive towards safety and health;
- Assist in the training and development of people at all levels of the organization;
- Provide leadership to attain superior manufacturing capabilities;
- Drive production planning and movement to MRP;
- Manage the relationship between Sun Gro, suppliers, government agencies and the community;
- Effectively manage company assets;
- Effectively manage environmental performance;
- Be dedicated to employee development and succession planning principals;
- Fulfill administrative and legal requirements of the Region and company; and
- Work proactively with other members of the region team to maximize profits.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build effective relationships as a trusted advisor through cohesive and transparent communication that fosters a culture of teamwork throughout the organization;
- Assist in the development and completion of strategic objectives for the organization;
- Dedication to continuous improvement of operational efficiencies;
- Strong promoter of safety culture at all levels; and
- Encourage leadership at all levels throughout the organization to create an environment of “best in class” operations, through coaching, training and mentorship.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Engineering; and
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively senior management experience;
- Proven ability to drive capital planning and strategy initiatives;
- Experience working in a lean environment with focus on process improvement activities;
- Technical knowledge and/or working knowledge with high speed manufacturing or packaging process environments; and
- Strong financial and business acumen.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Servant style leader who will provide the teams with the tools necessary for success;
- Organically drives a safety focused culture;
- Strong communication skills on all levels;
- Respectful, self-motivated individual who listens to the needs of his teams and to that of the organization; and
- Passionate about acting in a mentor capacity to encourage growth of managers.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:
AOWC-662013 Alberta Operations Manager – Sun Gro Horticulture, AB – Edmonton and Area (CRPAPPLY)
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at www.conroyross.com as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.